Now, to further the reflection process, I have gone through that post again and have now honed in on the BIG IDEAS that really resonated with me and have inspired me.
- If your methods aren’t being questioned, you’re not pushing the envelope enough (innovators are often questioned).
- Always think “Would I want to be a learner in my classroom?”
- The 5 E lesson template mentioned by Alice Keeler
- Explain (notice that this is the THIRD step!)
- Relationships are KEY to success in innovation
- Reflection and creativity are huge parts of learning
- Empowerment: give students the knowledge to pursue their interests
- Depth, not Breadth; Less is More!
The main ideas I want to try in the classroom:
- Ditch that Homework!
- Going gradeless
- One-on-one conferencing
- Reflection time in class
- Sharing student learning with larger audience
Concluding thought: Innovation is what I CAN do within the system, not what I can’t!